Tuesday, February 10, 2004

My First Nude Model

(Why does that title sound like something for a bad children's book?)

Well, today was a really interesting day on a whole. The fact that I drew a nude model was one thing, but I also learned something about myself. Well, two things.

Had I been a straight guy, I wouldn't have the maturity to last five fucking minutes in there while the model was nude. It's times like these that I'm glad that I am gay. I hope if I ever have to do a male nude that the person is not as attractive to the point where I will de distracted.

I also learned a few things about my mind as an artist. Apparently, my concentration changes based on the medium I'm holding. When I'm holding a pencil, I'm more concerned about lines and form of the subject. When I'm holding charcoal, I'm more concerned about value and the shape of that value. When I'm holding ink, I'm more concerned about detail. I wonder what will happen when I start to paint later on in my college career.

Today was definitely a learning experience. There is one thing I do have to say before I burst at the seams at how ridiculous it is.

While I was drawing the nude model with charcoal, for some reason I felt like I was in the movie Titanic during the scene where Jack is drawing Rose the night it sunk.

No comments: