Wednesday, February 25, 2004

If I may be so bold as to exercise my 1st Amendment Rights...

There have been only two news stories that I've been following for the last week or two. The first is the hype and controversy that surrounds Mel Gibson's new movie The Passion. I am mainly interested in the fact that everyone has an opinion about this movie that opens today. I like to see a religious debate and people questioning their religion for once instead of accepting it blindly. It helps me assure myself that people are really thinking out there.

However, the second news story that has got my attention more than anything involves "Dubaya" wanting to amend the US Constitution to ban gay marriages.

Someone definitely pushed the red button with that one.

With that one statement, Bush has lost all of his gay voters. I'm sure a straight voters, hopefully Republican, have also lost faith in Bush's leadership. There is no separation of church and state anymore. Church and state seems to be fully established under the control of someone who puts their beliefs before their job. But I'm being unfair in saying that.

The stupid thing is, the Democrat aren't doing themselves any favors in this. With the door literally blown open, neither one of the top two candidates for the up-coming election are taking advantage of this and trying to win over the lost gay votes. In fact, both of them look rather uncomfortable talking about the subject when the cameras and press are breathing down them.

If I was a registered voter, I would refuse to vote this election. I cannot support anyone anymore! Not only did no one win me over to their camp with their weak platforms, but now they have insulted me as a citizen of "the land of the free." I cannot vote for someone that believes in discriminating someone based on the fact they love someone of the same gender, be it seen as a life style choice or as a condition of birth.

The whole thing makes me mad. My imagination run with so many possibilities. If they have their way, that means there would be raids and arrests made upon the over 4,000 gay and lesbian couples that have been already married. Emotions and tension would be so high and so thick you could cut it with a knife! Hate crimes would be rising. Gay teens would be afraid to come out of the closet knowing full well they are not accepted anymore by law. And all those marriages that will end in divorce because one or both of the spouses couldn't live a lie.

It is events and issues like these that make me wonder if I should have killed myself a long time ago.

No comments: