Tuesday, February 24, 2004

A Case of Double Misidentification

Another tour group of high schoolers came by today. I should have just avoided them as best I could, but one person waved at me. I had to look twice to make sure that she was someone I knew. I actually thought that it was Miriam, my old tutor in high school. Turns out that she wasn't. She, also, thought I was someone else she knew.

Feeling kind of red-faced and embarrassed, I quickly left and went to the cafe to relax some. Instead, I was hounded my high schoolers left and right wondering what I am doing for what class. I ignored the ones that I could while playing around with the preppie ones a bit.

What I mean is this. I noticed that one of them was going to get a drink from the drinking fountain. I casually said that "I wouldn't drink from there if I were you." This is true because the water from there taste like they haven't been filtered. Up until he left, the guy was as paranoid as a soccer mom after 9-11.

During this time, I was drawing a little Shoyru. Almost every girl that passed by me looked at my sketch book and said that what I was drawing was cute. I thanked them and went back to work soon after. They walked off, for the most part.



Interestingly enough, the girl I thought was Miriam came by and began to talk to me. We held a small conversation and apologized to each other for thinking we were someone we obviously weren't. After a short conversation about the world of art and the careers we could look forward to doing in the discipline, I couldn't help but remember how many friendships I've actually formed based off of mistaken identity. It would appear that in the characteristic of dumb luck, mistaking someone for someone else I know seems to help me more than it hurts me if I open my mouth and ask "Don't I know you?" While I think that this could be done more often to help me gain some kind of social life, I know that would get really strange.

Still, it is kind of strange how most of my conversations with some random stranger I don't know and most likely do not see on a daily basis always start with "Don't I know you from somewhere?

No comments: