Saturday, February 07, 2004

Cartooning

I was told back in Creativity that it is extremely hard to draw things like a child. Harder still is being able to draw something that will be liked by a child.

Not wanting to go to the library to do research on Aztec color use and material (or for that matter waste another foam board trying to make another shape in vain), I decided to jump in and tackle the outside project of mine. The children's book picture.

Now, I'm not really hired as of yet. The way this works, from what I understand, is that I am to read the story and then submit character proposals to the writer. The writer then chooses what he likes if any and then calls back. It's an exchange of ideas and a negotiation of some sorts.

I started to draw the pictures when I came across a problem. It would appear that my skills have become way to advance for my liking. Yes, I can no longer draw cartoons the way I want to and make them appealing to the child in me. The only thing I can hope for is that the writer will like one of my ideas from which I can work from. Other than that, I don't think I can spend as much time as I normally do on a project.

Guess I'm not really cut out to be a cartoonist, but maybe I can use my cartoon-like drawings for something else. Maybe even push what everyone thinks contemporary art is, you know? Make them see cartoons as an art form rather than entertainment.

Guess I have a new goal.

No comments: