Tuesday, February 17, 2004

A Gay Paper Towel?



While doing my homework, I had the TV on for some kind of background noise. There was a commercial for the new softer Brawny paper towel brand that caught my attention.

Apparently, Mr. Brawny has a new look to go with the new softer paper towel. The commercial advertising this features the old Mr. Brawny and the new Mr. Brawny watching a soap opera. The old one couldn't give a rat's ass about what was going on, but the new one was really into it. Keep in mind that the entire time all they are showing are the rolls of wrapped paper towels with the Brawny men on them. Voice actors are supplying the dialogue.

When I first saw this commercial, I thought that it was funny, but when I saw it again, I realized an underlying social message of sorts. It looks as if they are making the new Mr. Brawny a little bit gay. Yes, I'm aware of the stereotypes, but think about it. Have you ever seen or heard someone that looked like that guy get all fussy over a soap opera? My point exactly.

Now if only Ken would come out the closet now that he has broken up with Barbie. I can't say the same thing for G. I. Joe because of that "Don't ask, don't tell" thing, but one can be hopeful.

No comments: