Monday, December 22, 2003

"Remember who you are."

I watched my aunt's DVD of The Lion King today. For some reason, I skipped to the scene where Simba sees his father's ghost for only a minute. I don't know why, but something happened to me when I was watching that scene that never happened before. I've seen the movie dozens of times, but this had never happened to me until just now.

I began to cry.

The scene, but itself, is so moving. Maybe it is just the timing in that I've been confused for the last 24 hours, but I felt something that I never felt before watching that scene. It is hard to describe the feeling, but whatever it was, I ended up learning something I already knew.

I cannot change the way I am. This is who I am. Every little insecurity of mine, every envy fiber of my being, every little cynical cell, every tiny characteristic, like it or not. This is who I am. I am and will always be me. I cannot change that. I am more than what I have become. I am more than just this twenty-year-old, pathetic excuse for a human. I am an artist. I see things in a way few can. I am strange and unusual to most if not all. I march to my own drummer. I do as I please. I am respectful. I am loving. I am forgiving. I am a slow learner and take my time learning.

This is who I am. It may not be anything special, but this is who I am right now...

...like it or not.

No comments: