Thursday, April 18, 2002

I never should have put that pomade in my hair yesturday. My hair feels as spikey and stiff as any anime character you can find.

Essence of Success

"Successful is the person wo has lived well, laughed often and loved much, who has gained the respect of children, who leaves the world better than they found it, who has never lacked appreciation for the Earth's beauty, who never fails to look for the best in others or give the best of themselves."


Ironically, this is from a pencil holder sitting on my mom's "Home Office" (or at least the poor excuse for one). I dunno, there is something about this quote that makes me think that it's wrong. If anything, this isn't much of a description of success than a definition. It seems more of a generalization. If anything, if you feel you're a success, then you are.

I really don't like generalizations like that. They seem to lead to stereotypes. Just cause one gay guy hits on a straight guy doesn't mean all gays will. Just cause the prison ethic count is dominately black doesn't mean all blacks are criminals. These are just a few too. Some stereotypes we indirectly associate with age. Oh, that person is 18 and should be in college. What if that person isn't motivated to go to college? Who is to say that it is required of him or her? My sister wants to work at the local Steak 'N Shake down the way, but my parents won't let her. Meanwhile, they are pushing me ever so hardly to get a job and do something with my life. I don't want to work here, but my sister does. Why don't they let her? It's cause I'm the eldest son. I'm suppose to supply and work for the family like a good boy.

See what I mean? An indirect stereotype. Just cause I'm the son automatically means I have to carry on the family name. In all honesty, I have already tarnished it just by being who I am, gay. Yes, even the gayest of sons can carry their family name with pride and honor, I know that. But in a family that is as ridged as they come, in a family that knows nothing but all work and very little play (if any if you want to talk about my mother) you can't, apparently, throw out the old ways cause that's all you've known. Maybe that's why I'm such an instigater in the family. I wouldn't be surprise if I ended up being the black sheep. You know, the one in the family you are too ashamed to talk about?

I just wish I could please them and feel like I have something.... successful for them.

No comments: