Tuesday, April 09, 2002

From Cyber Crimes:

A full-body X-ray machine can examine every person who comes through an airport checkpoint as an alternative to a pat down.

Recently, US Customs began testing the full-body system in roughly 10 airports across the country. Given recent events, officials are considering rolling out these X-ray machines in all airports, for all passengers.

Peter Williamson works for Rapiscan, one of a few companies working on full body X-ray. He says inquiries into rollouts of the technology have increased dramatically since September 11.

The images generated by the X-ray machine are not photo quality but they are good enough to tell gender. Security officials can download and save X-ray images, raising the possibility of misuse.


Hey, if that's what I have to do, it sounds good to me. So someone ends up knowing what I look like without my clothes on. Big deal. My pants ripped on a locker lock back in the 8th grade and I didn't know about it till just before dismissal when everyone was commenting about my butt. Ok, that was embarrassing, but I'm over it.

No comments: