Saturday, October 18, 2003

Revisiting PINS by Jim Provenzano

I was reading an English assignment that involved a humorous essay about how difficult it is to write about sex let alone a sex scene in literature. I found the essay more educational rather than humorous, although that little paragraph about how Microsoft Word doesn't help the difficulty of writing it was a little bit funny. I'm a geek, so that should not come as a surprise.

In any event, the essay reminded me of a book I bought, read willingly, and enjoyed. If you didn't get the hint from the title what that book is, you really need to read more carefully. I remember reading a one page sex scene between the two main characters somewhere in the book. The reason I remember it is because, not only was it one page long, but it was separate from each of the three "books" within the story. I think that it would be a wee bit too artsy of me to say that the reason for this is because it was suppose to symbolize a special moment in life that has nothing to do with coming of age or growing up like the book's main theme. Either that, or so you can find it faster.

I did see how little in detail the scene was in. It's kind of strange how a book that was written in the last ten years still holds true to what that essay said. Of course it would help if I knew when the essay was written too, but oh well.

Quite the education for someone that was suppose to commit himself to the library but instead committed himself to sleep.

No comments: