Friday, September 12, 2003

Martin Luther King I Am Not

I was reading a letter of Martin Luther King's for English Comp. Around halfway through or so, Dr. King mentioned something about how some Negroes at the time where to the point where they can't fight anymore and just accepted things as they are. That statement I related to the most to. I did mostly because of the fact that I have. I've pretty much accepted that the people I'll always find attractive are always going to straight. I've accepted that I won't be much of a friend to anyone. I have accepted the fact that I'm easy, a slut, and that I should belong in an institution because of my lack of logic. I have accepted the fact that I am probably not going to amount to anything. I have accepted that I am going to college only because I have to and not because I want to. I have accepted the fact that I don't think anyone will really care about me and show it to me to the point where I would be stupid enough not to believe that they do care.

All these things I have accepted and more.

As I read more and more into it, I got angry remembering how I am in my own struggle. Like Dr. King, my whole group of people (gay people) aren't being accepted by anyone. Well, for the most part. Those of strong faith still see us as unnatural, the spawn of the devil, an evil that should be dealt with and deleted from the world. They just don't like the fact that I like people of the same sex. They don't like the fact that I am human like them but still unlike them. That's why I cannot legally marry. That's why I can get fired legally for being myself. That's why I can get out of the military if The Draft gets reinstated. That's why I am here and who I am.

That's why I am so messed up. At least, that's one reason why I am messed up.

No comments: