Monday, November 24, 2003

Secrets of Life

“From now, “ advised Epictetus, “practice saying to everything that appears unpleasant: ‘You are just an appearance and by no means what you appear to be.’” Use the powers of your sacred imagination, the old Roman sage is saying. See behind the veil of things. Everything Matters along the road, but what matters deeply is what is invisible and must be seen with the inner eye.
~Cousineau, The Art of Pilgrimages, p. 98

Yeah, I know, I called it. I actually did some work on my final today. So sue me.

Believe it or not, this quote is telling you how to find out the meaning of life. Yes, that’s right. The answer to the question as to why we are here is in this very quote. Okay, it may not be exactly there all spelled out and nice, but it is there. At least, it is telling you how to find it.

The good thing is, I don’t have to do what it is telling me to do because I already did it. I went on a pilgrimage, unknowingly, and saw and experienced things that just made me want to be an artist more than anything. If anything at all, it help me appreciate pieces of art that I thought I would never be able to see in my life, and probably will never see again in my life either.

I hope I’m not fooling myself into thinking that I found my meaning for life and destiny. That would suck if I find out that I am way off base.

No comments: