Sunday, November 30, 2003

The Haunted Mansion

Despite all the bad reviews, I finally got to see The Haunted Mansion. Everyone says that it is nothing like Pirates of the Caribbean, but hey, that's being unfair! I mean, they had Jerry Brukhiemer (or however you spell his name)! Anyway, on with the review.

The plot of the story is simple. Long ago, two lovers were separated when "she" died from what appeared to be suicide. Flash forward to today. The ghost that haunts the home catches wind of a woman that has to be his long lost love reincarnated.

While the plot is very predictable to a point, it still holds together and flows. There are a few twists and turns here and there, but nothing that will make you go "Oh my God! What the hell?!" If anything, it would be more along the lines of "Great, now what?"

The acting in the film, for the most part, holds pretty well. While I'm aware that this is suppose to be a comedy, comedic timing on Eddie Murphy's part is way off. He's not as funny as he used to be. Yes, there were his moments, but the children where the ones that made the film funny. Must be the innocence of youth.

Visually, the film is beautiful! It is no wonder why I keep hearing talk about how some of the set pieces will be installed into either of the domestic Haunted Mansion rides. My mother, who I dragged along, said that Disney should redo the graveyard scene to fit the one from the film. I just want them to make the loading area look like that nice staircase in the main hall.

As far as ride references go, there were several. Too many, in fact. The changing portraits and the following busts from The Hall of Limbo, the breathing door, Madame Leota (of course), the Bride's dress in the attic, the hitchhiking ghosts, the singing busts. All there and accounted for.

The music was interesting. While they only used two melodies, the score still fits and adds to the mood. Too bad none of the score appears on the soundtrack, but hey, I can't complain. I don't have the soundtrack (That honor belongs to my sister.), but once I find and download Man with the Hex, I'll be a happy little haunt.

Overall, if you are just looking for something to watch and is not interested in any other movie, just go ahead and watch this one. It may not be up to everyone standards, but at least it is a movie the whole family can enjoy.

No comments: