Monday, August 23, 2004

Signing My Life Away While Being Brutal to Teachers

Drawing 3 is interesting. First of all, someone in the registration office must have screwed up. I'm still considered a Freshman by my teacher's Drawing 3 roll. Second, as usual, we are required to keep a sketchbook, but it was expressed by the teacher that if we do not wish for the contents to be viewed by anyone, it will not be viewed by anyone. Not even the teacher. Lastly, when critiquing, she asked, in a round-about way, for us to be as honest as we can possibly be about pieces. She expects us to defend our work as well, something I've pretty much fell out of practice of doing thanks to Michelle in Drawing 2.

To practice critiquing, we took a little trip to the campus gallery and critiqued the teacher show that is being installed right now. We were brutal about the three pieces we looked at, but all of our critiques were insightful as well as constructive in trying to understand what the piece is about and its meaning. Much to the delight of our teacher, I must add.

After getting the formalities out of the way, I went back to Financial Aid to sign my life away. It went by faster than I originally thought it would. In fact, I barely spent 20 minutes in their filling out forms and making sure I read all the fine print and things like that.

While waiting, I talked to some people I knew. Mostly about classes and what my snap judgments were. One conversation was about politics (ironically while standing in front of the New Voters Registration table and behind the "Vote for John Kerry" table), and another was a small student business deal in an effort to get the book I need for English Comp. 2 for cheap. (That reminds me. I need to get someone to change out my $50 bill I have in my wallet.)

A pretty simple and easy first day, but that is to be expected. Just wait until day two of these classes.

No comments: