Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Open Mouth, Insert Foot, Stop Bitching

You know, to me, spending $36 is a lot of money. Why is it a lot of money? Well, for someone that has never had any kind of cash a good portion of their life, $36 could mean the difference between a week's worth of food and starvation (especially if you live anywhere were the standard of living is ungodly high!).

Well, I now have a small list of the most expensive classes I am going to be required to take while in college. All of them suck for one reason or another.

First, there's Black & White Photo. Here we have a class where the main bulk of the money you'll be spending is going to go towards developing chemicals and film. That is if you can't find a cheap manual camera. That's right, no automatic focus cameras are allowed. Estimated cost is about $200 upward if you don't have a camera.

Second is Painting. Apparently, students have to buy tubes of paint in every spectrum of color! No mixing to get green or purple or orange or any other range of color, from what I understand. Total cost is about $500.

Lastly, and probably the most ridiculous of all, is the World Civilization class. The class has a new teacher, and as such, a new set of books to buy. How many? Five. Where can you find them? Only one place, eCampus.com. Why? Because the teacher made it so that was the only place you could ever get the books required for those classes. (And me without a credit card of any kind means that once I have to take that class, I'm out of luck if that is still the case.) On top of that, for some stupid reason, the teacher is requiring to buy a book for the class that he wrote! Okay, I know that being a teacher doesn't pay that well, but to require your own students to buy a book you wrote? What the fuck?! Last I heard, the cost of the books is nearly equal to the tuition of the class, but since everyone that uses eCampus.com is on a financial aid program that covers books, no one seems to care as much. At least the ones I talked to.

So how did I come about this information? I complained about how I had to spend $36 for supplies and how I have no money to get a $14 packet for my World Mythology class should something bad happen to my computer and I am unable to get the text for the next class.

Yes, I got shot down again. Don't worry, I'm used to it.

No comments: