Thursday, August 12, 2004

If 9/11 Didn't Happen

I was checking my mail and message boards that I am a member of when I saw an interesting post by the owner and creator of BG East.

Turns out that Kid Leopard (KL for short) had to put printing the last catalog of gay wrestling videos on hold while he was working heavily with the Democratic National Convention (DNC) and the National Stonewall Convention.

Now, I know what you are thinking. Why would a small, gay wrestling company be so involved with the DNC to push back a catalog, and ultimately their business if not their profits for the month?
If 9/11 hadn't happened the Bushite Bible-thumpers would have spent a great deal more time going after businesses and interests like ours. And this election would have been about alot more than "values" and gay marriage.

The strange thing is, I agree with him. Think about it. Right now, most uneducated (myself included) people able to vote are not going to vote for Bush because he is a bad leader. The fact that 9/11 happened followed by the Iraq battles/wars is overshadowing all the issues that get me upset, gay marriages and the amendment of The Constitution to include, what appears to be, a moral value.

If I may go Sci-Fi for a moment, it is very possible that somewhere in an alternate universe, 9/11 did not happen. Osama bin Laden is still in hiding, and probably never became a household name. To further push the envelope, in this alternate timeline, Saddam is still in power. Election time is coming up, just like how it is for us, and the issues now that are on the table are not if Bush was right in blowing up a good chunk of Iraq or how he is dealing with homeland security. No, in this alternate universe, those things are not hovering over everyone's head because they never happened. In fact, the issue at hand in this alternate reality is if gays and lesbians should be married or not.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank God that 9/11 actually happened.

No comments: