Sunday, August 29, 2004

Comments on the Closing Ceremony for the 2004 Olympics

I always knew that Greeks, and Europeans in general, knew how to party, but I never knew how infectious it was until now. Another thing I like about the Greeks is that they have the rare ability to laugh at themselves as a culture. I like that in a culture.

When the athletes came out as a mass unit instead of by country, one saw nothing but joy and celebration. To me, this is the scene I have always pictured as the very moment that peace on Earth finally became possible. A moment where there were no wars, no fighting, no conflicts, and no arguing. A real celebration for humanity and what we are. A celebration that we are the same inside.

I look forward to the art, the pageantry, and the games in four years time at Beijing. If their part of the closing ceremony has shown me anything, it has shown me that we are in for one fantastic show in both the opening and closing ceremonies.

Greece should be proud for a job well done. A job done perfectly despite all the challenges that faced the games.

Now for my own personal challenge... getting that image out Michael Phelps in a speedo out of my perverted head.

1 comment:

Leggy Pee said...

Wow, you were really into those ceremonies!! I was kind of bored by them, but still very impressed with Greece as host city. The Olympics belong in Greece; not some crap place like Salt Lake City, Utah.