Saturday, February 15, 2003

Because I was trained never to cancel an appointment unless I can't get to it for reason uncontrolable by anything I can do, I went to my 13:00 appointment with the director of Watkin's Institute.

I have to say, I'm impressed with how much the place has changed. Yes, I probibly have said that before, but I've never seen seen just how much they really have grown! When I was with them during their Young Artist Program, we had to share rooms. Now, every department have their own wing! They even took advantage as to how dark it can get with the old theater and turned one into a dark room for the Photography Department. They even have their own sound stage for their Film Department compleate with space to build a set similar to those in sit coms. You know, the kind that can fold out like a doll house? I also got a better idea as to what each department is really about. It looks like the Graphic Design department may not be for me. I mean, all they do are posters and CD covers and things of that sort. Fun, yes, but not what I thought. It looks like I'm more of a Fine Arts person that uses the computer alot. Or rather did.

Upon my departure, I was handed a CD-Rom of three of their films from the Film Department. It contained three films that showed the range as to what they offer in that department. Some are script heavy, some aren't. Some are filmed digital, some on film. All done by students. I popped it in on the iMac. It was Quicktime format, and the iMac cound run it better. The films were... well...

The first film looked like one of those that you probibly won't get unless you watch Groundhog's Day. It was one of those where the same scene was played over and over and over with different things happening each time untill they got it right. If they wanted to catch my attention or at least my interest from the get-go, this wasn't the way to do it. At least for me it wasn't.

The second one was the classic Horror Film Noir. I mean, one of those that just scream nostalgia like the original Dracula and Frankenstein. A creepy house, a nice use of the fish-eye lens, and it was in black and white to boot! Very, very good.

The third film was the best. It was obviously filmed digitally, because it was crip, but that's not the reason that is was the best. It was one of those "slice of life" kind of stories. One of those happy films that make you feel good at the end. Great cast, great direction, great filming and presentation. You just have to see if to know what I'm talking about.

Just color me impressed already.

No comments: