Saturday, March 01, 2008

Birthday Thesis Theme Park

In just a month's time, I will have to have had finished painting and securing to a base my avatar sculptures. Among other things include a second draft of my thesis paper, second draft of my artist statement, postcard image, and countless crits. Kind of makes my 25th birthday seem like a fizzle.

My brain and thought process are both dead at this moment. Mostly because of the mid-term, which was a presentation of my thesis to the department chair in application to be a candidate for distinction. You tell me what that means, because I thought it was something else.

It didn't go as bad as it could have. I was told that I was stating my thoughts better than before, though I still need to clarify some areas more and omit others. The most interesting suggestion: actually nerd out and show my knowledge of the cartoon genre. It makes sense, seeing how that is the forum for it. But once you get a nerd going, there's no stopping them. That's why you always have the two-beat joke in sit-coms where they end the speech, nobody claps, and then the teacher says something like "Thank you for that presentation, but your assignment was on the Star Wars project and not the films." Everything in front of the punchline is irrelevant, because you have a good idea where the conversation went.

It was also mentioned that I read something on Marx's commodity fetish when talking about fan collections. Thing is, I did read about that, and what I could understand of it was applied to the context in which I was looking it up for: why the early black-and-white Dada-ish cartoons had living cars and buildings. My challenge now is to take what little I understood and link it to a different context. The benefit would be my paper would have an academic backing that, apparently, I was missing. Should be simple, since I've done half of work already, but my mind is so exhausted.

I rather design a theme park's theme layout.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I think you must have missed the spelling because the only thing I found about distention is that it has to do with the ballooning of one's internal organs due to the influsion of too much hot air. Well, I made up that part about the air's being hot. However, based upon some of your comments about your "judges," this might be what you really perceive about what's happening.

If you can get Marx's commodity fetish connected to Dada-ish cartoons with living cars and buildings, you will really bowl over everyone.

Robert