Thursday, March 13, 2008

No Help, No Choice

I talked to Jack about how I felt about yesterday. He apologized, but it didn't feel sincere. I said my piece before dismissing myself out of respect in order to avoid venturing into territory I would rather not go to while dwelling on the subject.

The rest of the day, I was just utterly frustrated with my work. Sitting in my studio only made me angrier. I got nothing done as I was fighting back the boiling rage.

I have no option left but to just do as I'm told. I tried doing what I want, and look where it got me. I can't do what I want in the way I want to do it. I guess all I can do is say what I want to do and have other people tell me how to do it.

And that's not being an artist. That's not even being creative. That's just being a drone, which is probably all I'm good for.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

All the blog posts which you have written and which I have read, prove that you are creative and that you can be more than a drone.

I believe that you may have fallen into the trap of believing that you know what other people are thinking. Regardless of how close two people are, one can never know --for sure -- what another person is thinking.

Your teachers do not want to tell you what to do. That would make them look bad. If you play the game of acting as though you are letting them tell you what to do, they will become resentful and you will see them as more and more unsympathetic.

Most of us cannot do everything at the same time. You probably need to re-prioritize your list of things to do and concentrate on the things at the top. The stuff at the bottom can get your attention after you finish school.

Robert