Monday, March 17, 2008

At School During Spring Break

So here I am at the college all ready to do all the things I rather not do because I don't know what else to do, and I find out the room that I have permission to install in is being used by Watkin's Young Artist Program. Because the college is closed for the week, it is the perfect time for YAP to take over some of the studio rooms to teach the kids about the world of art.

This means I am in the middle of trying to figure out what to do in order to get any work done in order to save my ass from the fire that is my April 4th deadline/evaluation. I already have the hours as to when the program will be going on all this week, which pretty much leaves me high and dry as far as installing the damned installation the way I want it in the space smaller than what is needed. The only thing I can do is my paper. And we all know how well that's been going just trying to understand the text I'm reading.

In the meantime, I caught a graduate and former classmate of mine teaching one of the kids and asked her to help me out when she is done with my thesis. To be perfectly blunt, I really rather have other people do my work for me like Jeff Koons or Maya Lin and only deal with coming up with the idea and concept.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

This blog post made me think of William Wordsworth's poem:

The World is Too Much With Us

The World is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon,
The winds that will be howling at all hours
And are up-gather'd now like sleeping flowers,
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.-Great God! I'd rather be
A pagan suckled in a creed outworn,-
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

Some of us are better at coming up with ideas. Some of us are better at revising them. Some of us are better at executing them. A few can do all three with equal aplomb.

Do those kids have break times when you might talk to a few of them about your project? You might be surprised at what they could teach you.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Jeff Koonz or Maya Lin - this is not a bad idea. Your work is really begging for some animation. Why not get a friend to work with you on animating some of your designs? Just because you commission someone else to do some of the labor doesn't make it any less your artwork. Hmm... think about that for your senior show. I wonder who has been working with Flash lately to figure out animation projects...? Someone cool that is willing to pull a few favors over the summer with Flash... Someone who has been in discussion with you over the development of your work and has an idea of what you're trying to achieve... Who, I wonder? Who?