Friday, March 07, 2008

Avatar Sculptures Update

So, as you can see from this photograph, my initial plan for my avatar sculpture didn't pan out as well as I had originally hoped. The big flaw is kind of hard to pin point, but I'm guessing that it had something to do with how poorly I am as a mould maker. As you'll see in the other photographs I took, I'm not that bad of a sculpture artist. It's making a mould that is just asking for trouble. You've heard the old saying "You can't rush art." You don't know how true that really is when it comes to the mould process. Being a being of instant gratification, I guess I was destine to screw that up.

With that firmly set in stone, in a way, here is what I ended up with upon hitting the restart button. It still amazes me that you can make these things out of kids craft items and call it art. Hell, I think this was the same material they used to give us in pre-school to make kiddy jewelry, such as those multi-color necklaces and bracelets. After baking him in the oven, painting him was relatively simple. Too simple, in fact. If I had known how quickly the process would have taken me (about 3 weeks at a casual pace), I would have designed and made more.




It was suggested that I use the same pallet of colors between this avatar and the more detailed one as a way to link them visually, implying that they are the same character and the only thing that has changed is their appearance. Well, I found out by the second color application that isn't going to work. This sculpture is suppose to be cute and playful, which needs bright and fun colors. Hence the off-white-pink shirt. With the other one, you are dealing with a design that is more mature and almost requires more realistic coloring, if not more attention to detail and a darker pallet.





My biggest problem with this figure is coming up this week. Once I'm done painting all the little details on him, I need to reattach him to a base. After that, I just have to figure out how to light these two. I already finalized on where I'll put them in relationship to my installation and how high of a pedestal I want. I kind of just need a really good focus light or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea about using the same color palatte to create a visual link between the two avatars. This makes the most sense to me.

I am curious to see a whole bunch of the chibi versions of you, happy-meal style. If you use different colored Sculpy you won't have to paint it. This would take your self-portrait avatar idea and insert it into a mass-production fetish format (think commodity fetish?). Did you know that the term "fetish" originated from little sculpted figures called fetishes? This would be an awesome idea visually, and wouldn't be difficult to produce.

The first photograph that shows the figure without the head is very phallic. When I first looked at your webpage I thought your work had taken a dramatic turn in a sexual direction. Yowzah.

I can't figure out why the Michael Jackson-esque figure has hooves instead of hands. Is there a reason you've amputated his hands and everything below the waist? Formally speaking, this raises some very serious sexual issues, the presentation of this figure. It speaks to the act of binding children's hands at night so they wouldn't masturbate, the idea of castration, and the eunich. There's also the Bible verse about removing parts of the body that offend you or cause you to sin. I can't figure out why they are hoof-like though. Explain?