Thursday, March 20, 2008

For Jason

Jason's been picking my brain about animation, cartoons, graphic novels, and the like for a project of his. I found this while I was preparing to go to the downtown library today to beef up my paper. (The librarians are going to hate me before the hour is up given how over-dependent on them I'll probably be.)



What this guy has done is taken still drawings, all hand drawn, and through Photoshop either placed them where he wants them to be (i.e. put them in a new background), colored them, and probably scale them if needed. He then used a very simple video editing program to just animate them in the way he wanted the short to be cut or paced out.

This is probably one of his more artistic videos. Most of the ones I've viewed on his YouTube channel are sight gags.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I watched this three times, something that I would not have done except that you mentioned Jason in the title.

It is amazing how much action our minds are willing to fill in between the still images but that is really how our minds do work. The only question is how many still images and how small an interval between an adjacent pair is necessary to perceive motion.

I think the music makes a big difference here. Since I looked at this before and after your later blog post about rousing our interest by sound stimulus above a minimal threshhold, I had thoughts that the skeleton had been aroused from his comfortable closet by the mowing sounds that rose above his attention threshhold when the mower got close enough to the basement window.

And this little story could be interpreted as a warning to not raise too much interest if you want to keep your skeletons in your closet.

Robert