Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Restart!

The foot-and-a-half sculpture of my avatar in the Hello Kitty aesthetic didn't survive the mould transfer, so I'm going to build a Happy Meal version out of Sculpey like I should have done in the first place.

I even asked around to see if I could salvage the forum by putting Sculpey around the plaster and then baking it as the armature. I was told by everyone I asked that it would explode. I'm better off just remaking it.

It's a simple forum anyway, so I'm not all that upset that my avatar ended up in pieces. Besides, I have bigger things to worry about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good attitude! Way to bounce back from what could have been a depressing set-back.

This positive attitude looks good on you!

Prepare to answer the question "why Sculpey?" I've used it before to make little penis earrings. It's not perceived as a traditional medium, but I expect you have the similarly valid reasons for selecting Sculpey as I did.

You have to help me out - what is "forum?" I haven't heard this term in any of my sculpture classes and I'm afraid I'm missing out on some kind of new art theory.

I like the idea of Happy Meal sized cute avatar self-portrait. It says so much. I wonder if you can actually put it in a Happy Meal box somehow to solidify that context. Even if it's just sitting next to a plain white cardboard box that is shaped like a Happy Meal box, that would say so much. That's my two cents.

Now I'm craving McCheeseburgers. Thanks a lot.

How did your paper turn out?

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Explosions (fireworks)and not surviving (experiments)seem to turn up in your work pretty often. Of course they turn up everywhere. It's what happening to Western Civilization.

Would you believe that the word verification that is on my screen right now is "gajoo"?

Robert