Monday, February 18, 2008

Writer's Block

I feel I've done enough research on the obsessive fan culture that I can talk about it with confidence and relate it to the pieces I'm working with.

Putting that information on paper, however, is proving more difficult than I anticipated.

Part of me wants to write as casually as I do blogging and then edit it from there, but habit has be trying to write it out as logically as academia has taught me.

It's a very difficult thing to do, weed out information that isn't relevant to what you are doing and then trying to use what is to talk about your piece. And I haven't even inserted my citable artists into the paper yet.

Breaks from writing don't seem to help either. The reconstruction of my Cinderella fireworks show only provokes my need to write why obsessive fandom and the art I'm making about it makes sense together. I've become that obsessive fan who can link Harry Potter to the Bible to Star Wars to politics to comics to sociological studies. Okay, not in the literal sense, but the want to display that knowledge in a written form is very much there.

But where to go since I wrote myself into a corner?

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Just write casually and then rework what you have written.

I use the computer for everything now but I believe that I was more creative when I used a typewriter.

Your mention of Harry Potter reminded me of what I wrote when I finished all those books:

I need to be in bed. I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows whose theme is: those who least seek power are the ones who can -- in the end -- have the greatest power, or as a haiku:

Who least seek power
can in the final struggle
have greatest power.


- - - Tuesday, 14 August 2007

Just bounce off the walls and get out of your corner.

Robert