Monday, January 10, 2005

College Makes People Poor

Well, that was unexpected. It appears that the sculpture class is also going to cost me. Maybe not as much as the photo class, but it will certainly be a problem.

With the exception of whatever the school has available, we will be responsible for our own materials. Basically, anything outside of scrap metal, wood, clay, plaster, and, from what I understand, any metal needed for the foundry needs to be bought and invested in by us.

So what needs to be bought? Simply put, whatever we need.

Terry, my teacher and head of the Fine Arts department, is rather flexible as to what is a sculpture. If I wanted to do one involving fireworks, that would count. He considers anything that exists in a space and a time, temporary or permanent, a sculpture. So, again, if the project I want to do involves glass, I better invest in glass.

The thing is, he is really going to challenge me. The first assignment is the hardest. And we are only doing three pieces this semester, each taking only a month long. Naturally, I'm looking forward to the last project because it is the most simple. In order to get to the end, you have to have a beginning.

Terry gave us several good places to wear to start looking (dreams, driving, meditation, etc.), so I guess I'll try one of those and see where it leads. Frankly, my biggest concern isn't about space or balance or texture or even scale.

It's economy.

Well, at least I know how I'm going to get rid of that comma in my savings account now.

1 comment:

Leggy Pee said...

it sucks so bad that college drains us of funds!!!!!