Saturday, July 24, 2004

Quidditch Through the Ages - A Review of a Hogwarts Library Book

After finishing Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, I had some high expectations for this book. I am pleased to say that all were met.

First off, this title explained the rules of the game better and clearer than the movie did. I'm sure the books probably explain it well enough, but this title goes into so much detail, you'd have to be stupid not understand the game. I also noticed that there are several similarities between Quidditch and soccer. Most notable is the fact that the US screwed up Quidditch and invented their own version of it much how US football isn't what the world knows as football (soccer).

Surprisingly, this title also explains why witches and wizards in the Harry Potter world have brooms. Apparently, it is suppose to be for anonymity. If a Muggle was to walk into a wizard household, seeing a cleaning device like a broom wouldn't be odd to them, and they would think nothing of it unlike seeing a magic wand glowing out in the open on the coffee table. Also, like a history book, it explains (and concentrates) differences between Western and Eastern cultures. Apparently, those in the Eastern cultures prefer flying carpets over brooms. Either way, both are rather easy to hide from Muggles.

Lastly, this title introduces a new character that I really wish I saw in the movies. Apparently, according to the forward by Dumbludore, Madame Irma Prince is quite found of the books she is in charge of in the Hogwarts library. So much so that she has cursed all of them to attack the reader should they even bend a page wrong. She calls it a form of disrespect towards the book.

Having read both of the text books from the Harry Potter's School Book Set, I must say that any fan of either the movies or the books should read this if not buy it for themselves. The content is not really going to add anything to the story's main plot, but it is a nice way to get some incite into two of the things that make the world of Harry Potter so magical.

Now, if only I didn't spend all my money on a box frame for my art project I'm doing. Oh well.

No comments: