Thursday, July 22, 2004

House readies to vote on marriage issue

From Yahoo! News:
Gay rights advocates this week are gearing up for the second battle this month in a congressional showdown over marriage rights for same-sex couples.

Last week the Federal Marriage Amendment (FMA), which seeks to amend the Constitution to forbid marriage rights to same-sex couples, was defeated in the Senate.

And here I was more concern about the maturity of the of the debate instead of the actual outcome of it. Just goes to show you what I actual pay attention to, doesn't it?

Hopefully, the FMA will also fail in the House. I forgot how the government works, but if I remember correctly, if it fails in both the House and the Senate, it will still be just a "Bill sitting on Capital Hill." (Bad reference to School House Rock. I know.)

I won't go into where I stand on this. I think everyone knows by now.

No comments: