Monday, October 18, 2004

So much for the invitation...

Today is the day that we find out if those who entered in the Student Gallery actually got in.

I didn't. I found both of my pieces in the Gallery Closet across the hall from the Gallery Supply Closet that is in the gallery itself. (Don't even try to follow that.)

Jason Diskell's male nude painting got in, which I'm happy about. I've been saying for a while that we need more male nudes in galleries, so I'm glad we have one in our student show.

Personally, I don't know how they judged the show. From the looks of things, they went for the aesthetic as well as the conceptual. In any event, my pieces were neither deep or pretty enough to get in.

As much as I knew I wouldn't get in, I was hoping that I would impress someone with my pieces. I apparently didn't. There's a part of me that keeps saying that I need to just let go and forget about it. Try again next year with things you will create over the summer again. There's also another part of me that is trying so hard to keep my chin up. The part of me that is trying for dear life to hang on to the last piece of self-confidence I have, which is slowly slipping away knowing I was rejected from the student show.

Rejection is a normal thing for me. You would think I would be used to it by now, but in this case, I'm not. I thought that in an art school the pieces I entered would be accepted and appreciated. Pushing what is art and all of that. Maybe I wasn't pushing the piece far enough. Maybe I just wasn't pushing myself. Then again, maybe I just suck.

No comments: