Friday, December 17, 2004

Early Christmas Present Problems

I just got handed two early Christmas presents from my aunt upon her return from the mall. After exchanging updates as to where everyone is, particularly my sister who is home for the holidays, she gave me two of my presents with a clause. (Insert Santa Clause joke here.)

She told me she will give me my presents now, but the rest is my problem. This didn't sit well with me at first, but my aunt is crafty.

She first pulled out the Mary Poppins DVD and told me a story about the copies she bought. She went to Suncoast and found the last two copies of the DVD, as well as another movie she wanted. The lady checking out people was wondering why in the world my aunt would want two copies of the same movie, to which my aunt said one copy is for her. You would think that question wouldn't pop up, seeing how it is gift buying season and there is a chance that you are getting one copy for one person and another copy for another person. Some people are just curious, I guess.

Thanks to the first present and the good cheer that came with it, I was well prepared for the second blow that came with the whole "the rest is your problem" statement. My aunt was unable to pronounce the only thing on my Nice List specifically spelled out. All she knew is that it was a video game, and so she went to EBGames. Handing the teenage worker the hand-written list I gave her, he found Katamari Damacy in the back of the story in the office. He said to my aunt upon his return that they have a hard time keeping this game on the shelf. Something tells me the copy she bought was a reserve copy someone forgot about. Before totaling up her bill, the young worker pulled out a PS2 memory card. My aunt asked what that was for, to which he explained its purpose of saving games. My aunt told him to take it back, as that would be my problem (or at least one of them). The young worker got a good laugh out of this.

So, yes, I now own Katamari Damacy as an early Christmas gift. Sadly, I cannot play it because I do not have a PS2. My aunt thought that I could on my PSX, but that system cannot read DVD-encrypted games. As anyone knows who has been keeping up with me, I'm in the market for a memory card, but I'm told they go for about $20. This means I only have enough for one card, and it will more than likely be a PSX card so I can reclaim my LUNAR and Final Fantasy Tactic games.

Overall, though, I'm not disappointed one bit. I don't know what it is, but having a gift that I want but know I can't play makes me rethink the old seasonal saying "It's not what kind of gift it is. It's the thought that counts." I now know what that really means and am really ashamed at the fact that I felt like I was on some kind of chore while I was shopping for my parents' gifts and splitting the bill with my sister. Still, though, this isn't the first time I've given them lame gifts. They know I think about and love them even if they claim I don't respect them.

I'm happy. Bottom line. The only thing I'm wondering about is if turning down the PS2 on Black Friday was a bad thing due to lack of foresight.

No comments: