Saturday, December 25, 2004

Did I over come a vice?

This has been bugging me for a while now, and I don't know what this feeling is that has been gnawing at me.

I learned that once I approached the final battle in LUNAR: Silver Star Story that I had missed something rather important. I hopped over to GameFAQs, and found out that I missed out on a third Healing Ring that I needed. The thing is, it's location is in an area I cannot go back to for one reason or another. On top of that, I have no save game going that far back into the story to correct this mistake. The only option is to replay the entire game over.

At this point, I said to myself "Oh well, it's just a game. It's not that big of a deal." After that, I deleted the save game to start over cold turkey. I then wrote some notes to look out for a chest with a Healing Ring in it and packed up what I had set out for my Playstation. I then looked at my Katamari Damacy copy and figured that this vacation is as good a time as ever to try to get the rest of the pieces to play this game.

Since then, something has been bugging me. Even now, I feel like I've done something more than just said "Oh well, it's just a game."

Video games have been a vice of mine since I can remember. My cousin Eric had the old NES when I first was able to play video games with some kind of enjoyment. Thanks to Mario and Duck Hunt, I was hooked beyond reason. It was such an addiction that when I visited my cousins again--Eric had a Sega Saturn at this time--I found myself playing his video games without knowing my cousin had come home from work and was snapping his fingers at me to get my attention. God knows how much money I've begged and saved up to spend on nothing but video games. Granted my library isn't as big as some people's game library, but that is because I invest in games that tell a story rather than entertain and kill time. Yes, there are some exceptions, but for the most part, thanks to Kaiser in middle school, I've been true to RPGs that I fancy for one reason or another. Okay, I take that back. I like RPGs because of how I can escape reality, but the games I seem to fancy more than anything are the weird and bizarre. My first game I bought for the Playstation was Parrapa the Rappa, after all. And now Katamari Damacy for the PS2.

Maybe I'm making mountains out of mole hills. Still, I can't get this nagging feeling off my back, and I'd really like to know what it is.

No comments: