Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Metal-Grinding Zen Moment

Grinding down metal for sculpture never really came across as zen-like until now. Thoughts came through my head that I never really would think about as a way to clear my mind. The most interesting one besides the one I'll talk about in greater length is why the hell the new Pope looks like Palpatine. It's the smile. It looks like the Dark Lord of the Sith himself.

In any event, another more important thought came across my head while working in class.

Why is it that people feel the need to tell me how to live my life when I don't ever tell them how to live theirs? It makes no sense to me at all! If treating people the way you want to be treated holds true, then why am I being told how to live my life when I clearly don't say to people that they should stop smoking or drinking or whatever else I disapprove of?

Case in point, I was telling someone about my camera problem and a person next to him said to just go out and buy one on eBay. All I have to do is get a money order and mail it snail mail. If that doesn't work, hand him the going price for the camera I broke and tell my dad that's it. Case close. I'm done.

I could have said what I normally say to Bill and Dan and David and everyone else on IMs that tell me to get my shit together, but I didn't. I just took it in and then tossed it to the back-burner knowing full well that what the person suggested isn't how I operate.

This is just one case out of many. I don't know why people won't let people complain. And to top it off, why is it people tell other people how to live when they don't ask for it? Why offer "free advice" to someone that doesn't give you some in return?

I have never told anyone how to live their life. I may not approve of some of their choices like drug habits or picking a school that they shouldn't have for whatever reason, but I certainly don't tell them that they should do this or that or something else other than what they are doing. Why should I be in charge of someone else's life?

The question can apply the other way as well. Why should everyone else be in charge of my life?

So what if I complain and not do anything to better myself in their view? Is it really worth telling me that I should be doing this instead as if I could easily get up and do it like a machine?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that whole "Do unto others as you would like other to do unto you" thing is false. People are going to give you advice when you never give any. People are going to tell you how to live when you don't tell them how to. However, that could also mean that people will give you money when give nothing back, which in the moral sense of the situation is a bad thing. Either way, the way you treat other people doesn't mean they will treat you the same way back. At least, that's my experience as of late. For the most part.

No comments: