Friday, April 01, 2005

Happy Birth Month, Mr. President

It seems only appropriate that today I feel like the fool I am.

This month is the birth month of someone very special to me. That is, unless I'm totally mistaken, which just is further proof that I'm not as good a friend as most people can be.

I still think about him from time to time. I expect him to pop up sometimes when I think about him. Coming around the corner beaming like the sun with the intent to talk to me and no one else. Girlfriend in tow, he'd introduce himself and her to me.

And then from there, my imagination stops, because it knows better. It knows that it cannot even dream of what will come after that little introduction.

Today, at this very moment, I feel like the fool I really am. I am a fool for not remembering his birthday. I am fool for not being able to attend because of finals in all of my classes. I am a fool for only remembering that he will be turning 18 this year.

But I'm no fool when I say this. Once he turns that magical number that makes him an adult, the world is going to change with him. I'll be damned if they don't.

No comments: