Sunday, June 06, 2004

Seen Twice, Just As Nice

I saw the new Harry Potter movie... twice.

The first time I saw it was with my sister, her best friend, and the kids that she was babysitting. I loved it the first time around, and several things from it stayed with me, mostly the darker scenes involving the Dementors.

The second time around, my family was hoping to get into the IMAX format version of the film. Little did we know that it would cost us about $5 more than the normal ticket. So, we opted for the normal screen. The thing is, we didn't get normal audio. We were in a digital theater with DTS Surround Sound. Not quite the same bass as the IMAX, but just as good.

The audio was something that always impressed me with movies that involved special effects. I think the foley artists (the people that make and invent sound from common sounds) are the most under appreciated team of the special effects department. There were several times where I found myself in awe at some of the sounds. The high-pitch shrieks of the Dementors, the popping sound during the Expeliamous spell, and the voice of the Hippogriff. I also noticed a ticking sound during the last portion of the film that I didn't hear the first time, as well as several lines I missed my first viewing for one reason or another.

The next movie I'll end up seeing twice is going to be Shrek 2. You know what that means. Time to break out and force my mom to watch my Shrek 1 DVD!

No comments: