Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Heaven's Music on Earth

I just got back from the Ryman. Why was I at such a historic place as far as music goes?



That's why! Yup, I went to none other than Jason Mraz himself.

The title of this entry should say it all to you.

I was in heaven. Music and talent that I feel bless to actually see and hear live, despite all the drunks and hoochies. I am for real on this one! If Heaven has background music playing, I want what I heard tonight to be playing for me.

What blew me away was how unified the artists were. Opening acts and headliners were non-existent. Everyone performing was equal to each other, and everyone was great. Makana has such a beautiful voice to match his youthful face. If I had gotten into sports and had a fast metabolism, I could have looked like him, I swear. A hot Hawaiian and a beautiful singer. I'm in love! The one guy that really blew me away every-freaking-time was a very talented man named Raul Midon. He was able to make an acoustic guitar sound like a three piece band! On top of that, he used his own voice to mimic the sound of a trumpet to a fault! And on top of all that, the man is blind!! A very talented man whom I hope goes a long way in the music industry.

Jason Mraz himself was excellent. He was everything he was on the live CD I got my sister for Christmas. He was funny, goofy, sweet, loving, caring, and above all else, a great and talented performer. His version of The Rainbow Connection was so beautiful, it made me cry. He even wrote a love song for the guys as well as performed a song meant for his sister's wedding, but unfortunately wasn't performed at the reception. His on-the-spot ad-libing still amazes me.

Like I said, everyone on the program were treated like equals, and this could be no farther from the truth than the songs they did as a group. Each one was so magical and so beautiful, words cannot describe it. Every last song they sang together I wish I had a copy of. Every song they say together I wish I could relive all over again. My personal favorite was a song Jason Mraz described as "a song that has a little bit of this and a little bit of that to make a big picture." Dare I say it was a song so beautiful, it had to be the song of world peace. Hearing it made me feel so secure in who I am and what I am. I just wish I had someone to cuddle with during that song like all the couples to my right.

After the show, we bolted straight to the tour merchandise table. I spent $20 on a trucker hat that reads "Curbside Prophet" and a wrist band. (What? My watch broke off, and my left wrist was feeling naked!) My sister got a poster for mom and a T-shirt which surprisingly fits her small frame.

If I may have a moment to rant (like I haven't done that already on my blog), I want to say just one thing about tonight.

This is how a concert should be. It should be entertaining. It should be fun. It should be very much about the music and not about the performance. If more concerts in popular music were like this, I would love to attend them all. This is how music should be presented in concerts. Not some flashy pyro show with stadium size stages and dance moves that would make strippers jealous. It should be just about the music, the person playing the music, and the fan who loves the music that is playing.

This was the perfect concert. End of discussion.

No comments: