Monday, September 01, 2008

Boiling Point

"You think you can get away with things by yelling. That's so disrespectful."

My mom's words.

Controlling my anger is starting to become more and more difficult the more I become the target for other people's ignorance. I get the impression that they believe I know everything, that I can control anything, and that it is my fault for someone else's misgivings or mistakes. And in some respect, I may have presented myself as such. But not to my own family. They should know me better than anyone. They've had to put up with me for twenty-five years, for Christ's sake!

And the reason I yell? It's because nobody will listen to me!

Sometimes I wonder how our family dynamic would be if I never talked to them and just let them blame me for the things I didn't do. I'd rather get attention for the things I've done rather than the things I didn't do, but I guess that's acting too much from people who have expectations that are locked into a culture I have no clue about. After all, I didn't grow up in a post-war, third-world, developing country. I'm growing up in a technology-obsessed, media-watching, my-way-or-the-highway culture in a country that is losing its economic and political power in the world.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I am a little disappointed. "Nobody will listen to me!" Haven't I been spending time day after day reading all your blog posts for months now? Haven't I worried myself to try to come up with comments that had some meaning?

I don't think you realize quite what you have said in this post. The my-way-or-the-highway culture is only one part of our country and it is the part that is yelling. And nobody is listening. Those caught up in it are only interested in themselves. Those not caught up in it are smiling and saying, One day they'll learn.

Of course I have been saying for years now that Western Civilization has already come to an end and that on December 22, 2012, it will be completely over. That gives you four more years to do things and to decide which new civilization you want to cast your lot with.

Robert