Saturday, September 06, 2008

Due Monday

Images of how I envision my show space as well as preliminary sketches of the work I want to exhibit and/or photographs of past works so that the teachers can figure out whose work works best with whose.

And I'm having the hardest time trying to jump start this! It's driving me insane! it isn't so much distractions so much as it is that I just don't like looking at photographs of myself. Every last one, including the one where I Photoshopped the hell out of it! As narcissistic as I could be, I seriously cannot stand looking at myself. That's why I avoid cameras, and when I can't avoid them, I avoid seeing the results of the filming of photographing.

The idea of drawing myself or an avatar of myself is kind of out of the question. Actual real representation, something that is undeniably me to even the casual stranger must be shown. But working from even the best photographs I find extremely frustrating. I want to draw myself as I see myself and then place something that is genuinely me in the piece that people who don't even know me can say, "Yep, that's him alright."

Maybe if I try this image concept with an image of the web camera's lens. Or maybe I should wait until my aunt gets back from her cruise. She does have the best camera in the house.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Strangers say, it's you,
the camera does not lie,
but I see, not me
.

Anonymous said...

I think this disparity between the way you see yourself and the way photographs of you look definitely has a place in your thesis (since it is about self representation).
Do you have trouble looking at yourself in the mirror? If not, what is the difference between actually seeing yourself and seeing photographs of yourself.