Monday, September 01, 2008

What did I come online for again?

I came online for something. To get something. To do something. But I can't remember what that something is.

Skippy loves his heart worm medication. He eats those chewy little pills up and then begs for more. But he hates his flea-and-tick ointment. He's rolling around on the carpet moaning in frustration and discomfort, but the formula has already done what it needs to do. The life of a dog. Sometimes I wonder if I am taking care of a dog or a two year old child who can't speak but is smart enough to let me know that he needs to go potty.

Still, his juvenile behavior is proving to be more entertaining to me right now, which is more than I can say for how my day has been. Without a proper or affective outlet for all my aggression to channel itself towards, I became that unwatched pot of boiling water that ultimately ruins the stovetop. Oh, sure, the heats been turned off, but you have to let the thing cool down before you can fix the damage. The problem is this stovetop is a model they don't make any more, so now that the damage is done, you're left with only one option: get a new stove or just deal with the broken burner. The easiest thing to do is just deal with the broken burner, but what do you do with the pot of water that caused it?

The logical answer is to let the pot of water cool before you do anything else with it. There are two ways you can go about this. The first is to cool it as aggressively as it was heated. However, this leads to thermal shock and could break the metal if not cause other permanent damage. The second is to just let the heat escape on its own and come back to it later.

Social situations don't work like kitchen troubleshooting. People always want to try to fix the problem the quickest way possible, by cooling a still-hot pot. They do this through several different methods, the most common I've seen in my life is by saying "You're wrong. Here's what's correct and why it is correct." And by my count, that only works once out of every ten situations. The rest of the time, we are pretty much the living reenactment of the story of Jesus and the crowd who are about to publicly stone a person for whatever the reason it is. We think we know better because we know more or have more experience, but we are all wrong in one sense or another. We just like to think we are right.

One of the goals every parent wants their child to learn is the difference between right and wrong. This perception changes as we age and what we sometimes are told is wrong turns out to be okay in the end. The reverse is also true. Right and wrong are just perception changes, just like truth and fact. From one point of view, it looks red. From another, it looks blue.

Now I remember what I came online for! I came online to look up Sonic level cliches like the obligatory palm tree level or the recently-added speeding highway level.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Blooms are seeds matured.
New rights are old wrongs recast
in refining fire
.