Sunday, June 01, 2008

Ripped Off by a Gay Guy

There are several things in Box Office that I as an employee must do in order to keep both my customers and my boss happy. Because of the amount of money that is physically and digitally transacted every hour, one must pay very close attention to what is going on at all times.

For example, one girl bought her tickets in dimes. Dimes! And these were not bank-rolled dimes either. They were hand rolled. As such, I am obligated to count out each and every dollar if she had no other way to pay for her tickets. Which took about a grand total of 10 minutes.

The title example for this entry happened yesterday. A lot of people come to the box office and try to rip off the company by claiming we have shorted them in change. Some get away with it, but most of the time they come back too late in the line (normally by about a few minutes) to where our computer has forgotten about their transaction and is no longer displayed on the screen.

There was this one customer that got lucky. After buying his ticket, he came back and claimed I gave him the wrong about of change, showing me the bills he was handed back. Between his transaction and when this event occurred, no other purchases were made. The span of the wait was about 3 minutes. His total as well as his change were still on display on my computer, and as such I gave him the proper change. Still, the fact that he didn't notice this in front of me raised a red flag and I took a note of it.

When my shift ended and I was being counted out of my drawer, I turned out to be short by the amount that the customer before said I shorted him. I told my boss knowing that I was ripped off but didn't want to believe I was. He too was disappointed in the guest's action, but said nothing about how the event will affect my position.

Normally, we would try to identify the customer and look on the security cameras to see what the eagle eyes can see. But the only thing I remember about the man was that he was wearing a Gay Pride necklace.

And every gay guy I've ever met up until yesterday have always been so nice and honest...

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Dealing with the public is an art as well as a science. Regardless of the "rules," if one doesn't have happy customers, in the end one doesn't have a business. Your two items reminded me of things that happened to me when I was a cashier at Waldenbooks.

Some kids came in to buy an item. They gave me pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, fifty-cent pieces, a Susan B. Anthony dollar, paper dollars, a two-dollar bill, and a five. I figured that they must have ransacked the house to find money.

One December when there was a line, the question of whether I had given a customer a ten in change came up. Nothing was said but I decided to give him what turned out to be a second ten dollar bill. I didn't really think I owed it him but I was countering that with the possibility that I might have made an error and that he might make a scene and there were all those customers out Christmas shopping who would not be happy. My manager was not upset but that was because I generally never had any discrepancies in my drawer. Also I could ring up sales faster than most and talk customers into buying something else at the same time.

In another retail outlet a couple of years ago a fellow cashier was given said a counterfeited hundred dollar bill. She said that the customer claimed that he got it in "change." Change from what?

Robert

Anonymous said...

You need to meet more gay guys.