Thursday, June 05, 2008

Sex & The City Demographic Break-Down

In case you are curious, I've been keeping track of the demographic of women that have been coming to see Sex & The City for the theatre I work for. Keep in mind that this is strictly for my theatre, which is located in a rather high-brow area of town, and is in no way an indication of how the crowds were like nation wide.

Opening Night - While dominated by Fandango purchases, Opening Night for the movie saw the socialites in full force. What pictures I've seen of the night at our location was like watching a fashion show where every woman who had or was of money tried to out dress anyone would would have the nerve to try to be best dressed for the night. If I had to, I would assume that several women bought an outfit exclusively for that night. Every show after 17:00 was sold out, which means if you weren't part of the party, you were out of luck.

Saturday - After all the glitz and glamor, the working class women that knew how to dress to impress came out to see the movie. It was clearly a Lady's Night Out event, where office co-workers and circles of girlfriends came to enjoy the only movie that was released this past week that wasn't some action movie or aimed at the family.

Sunday - The "Women of the Night" decided to see the film today. Seriously, some of them were wearing tops so tight, they were about ready to pop out of them. Surprisingly, it was the local Gay Pride day and not once did I see a gay man come to the movie. Actually, I saw no member of the male gender go to the movie that day.

Monday - The college girls came out to see the film. While I wasn't working, I was told that they were from all walks of college life, though the vast majority of them were either blond or from a sorority. A few of my single managers commented that Monday saw some of the best looking women since Friday night.

Tuesday - Either someone wasn't doing their job or girls are starting to figure out where The Fountain of Youth is located, because my co-workers said all the "barely legal" girls came out. Unfortunately, they were said to have dressed kind of slutty. So much so that several were asked for their identification several times.

Wednesday - I came back from my day off and saw nothing but well-dressed senior citizens going to Sex & The City today... with their angry-looking husbands in tow. By this time, the crowds have died down, as we also saw a small number of the demographic that dominated today.

Today - The people that wanted to see the movie but didn't want to see it with a big crowd. So people like my mom. Nobody had to worry about not finding a seat. By this time in the week, nearly everyone and their mom has seen the film. The largest number of people that saw the show during my daytime shift was 20 people.

Tomorrow will see the release of Kung Fu Panda and Zohan. This means an increase in families and male patrons with the sense of humor of your stereotypical frat boy. Will Sex be able to sell out any shows during its second weekend? We'll find out come tomorrow, but I won't be keeping track since from this point out it's going to be very obvious (and boring) as to who will be coming to see the movies playing on their opening week.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

What a neat account of -- I started to say movie fans -- but maybe event fans is the more correct term.

I cannot but believe that a person who dresses to be seen, must have a different way of seeing the movie they are attending.

Robert