Monday, June 30, 2008

It Begins Today

For the past several weeks, I've heard chatter among the employee pool about people's files being stuffed with various violations they were never told about. This made me paranoid.

Yesterday, I asked the Human Resource Manager if I can see my file. It is my right as an employee that I have access to it for any reason. I found that I have had both my 90-Day and Yearly Performance Review. Both documents I never saw before that day. I was told that HR Managers in the past were lazy in getting employees in the office to see these reviews.

Today, I talked to my General Manager about my 90-day and Yearly Pay Raise. Long story short, I pissed him off when I attempted to ask him if I can have photocopies of those unsigned reviews. I never got the question out. He offered me a choice: a $0.50 raise starting on my next paycheck because I should be getting paid that now for being such a good employee OR talk it out with the HR Manager. I know for a fact that the HR Manager will tell me to bring it up with the GM.

It starts today. My personal investigation into if they really denied me fair compensation for my labor, thereby violating labor laws. The only date I have to go on is with my 90-Day Review: Aug. 3, 2006. From there, I will have to determine on my own how much money I was denied since that date and since my Yearly Review. Which, conveniently, was not dated by the HR Manager at the time that drew it up.

To say that I'm on a mission would be an understatement. But for now, I need to get a level head before I do anything brash.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

This is a very difficult matter to deal with. Based upon my personal experience there is no good end result regardless of who is right or wrong or who wins or loses.

I can only think of one reasonable thing to do. Send a letter to the home office HR people stating that the local people overlooked giving you your raise after your ninety day review and asking them to correct the situation. Do not include any details except the date when you had been employed for ninety days.

Your title for this post says more than you might imagine. Just what is the antecedent of that "It" in It Begins Today? A search for truth, a showing up of the local managers, a personal vindication?

You are an artist. We believe that you won't be working at a cinema for the next forty years. It is not worth wasting your time and energy on a few dollars when getting them will mean losing the job anyway.

Take a lot of deep breaths before you start doing and talking and writing.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon,

Robert is right. Send a letter to the corporate office that (emotionlessly) states the facts and asks for their intervention. If it's a solvable problem, they'll fix it for you. If it's not a solvable problem, then find a new job. There are plenty of better-paying jobs waiting to be had, especially now that you have an employment history.

Going to war over this matter seems like the right thing to do, but would only waste of your precious time and effort. Keep in mind that you're going to have to rely on your managers for positive references as you apply for your next level of employment, wherever that may be.

Robert's wisest words yet: we believe that you won't be working at a cinema for the next forty years. In fact, I'm surprised you've stayed there this long!