Thursday, June 12, 2008

Moving Out or Dropping Out?

Kristi was floating in and out of her class and the studio. She saw all my stuff in boxes and asked me if I was dropping out of graduation. Probably the first time a teacher has expressed that kind of level of concern for me.

I assured her that what was going on was my willing departure from a studio space I was not using to its full advantages. I expressed that I felt burned out, but I was not going to be dropping out. I don't know if will continue working over the rest of the summer, but the intent is still to try again in the fall.

I left the conversation feeling like she didn't believe me and was still concerned about my future as an artist.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

It is hard for old people to believe young people when the question is the future. We have seen too much and still know too little.

Robert