Saturday, June 14, 2008

I was wrong.

Karma has a nasty was of biting me in the ass.

It was the first day as manager for one of the recent employee promotions, and I couldn't help but internally criticise the kid for his lack of professionalism as a manager. Karma took this as a prideful action, as it was viewed as if I was this flawless person. To get back at me, Karma teamed up with Fate and Circumstance to cause a failure in judgement involving a pair of individually purchased tickets needing to be changed to the correct show times.

In the end, he was perfect and I was in the wrong. Tomorrow I will have to sign a document explaining the situation, which is so complicated I had to print out a bullet-point breakdown of the event just for it to make sense to me in the morning.

I would post it here, but admitting that I'm in the wrong is probably the best thing I could do as a person. I mean, everyday I observe behavior from both my family and other people where they blame "the other person" for something that was their own mistake. This isn't a pride thing; I just think more people should learn how to admit they are wrong when they are wrong.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Do you really think that Karma is an entity who is on a quest to get even with everyone who has done someone wrong?

I don't claim to know much about karma but I always think of Karma as a steady worker in the world making--
every valley exalted,
and every mountain and hill low:
the crooked straight,
and the rough places plain. (Isaiah 40:4)

To say that the other person is perfect and that you are wrong is a special kind of hubris -- a failure to come into a Trojan Horse because flaunting your superiority is more important than being victorious.

Blaming the other person is devaluing the other person. Failure to recognize value in the other is an indication of failure to recognize value in the self.

Robert