Thursday, May 29, 2008

Screwed Art

Have you ever had one of those days where things just didn't work out no matter how well you know you are at doing them or no matter how many times you check your work to make sure you're doing it right?

Today is that day for me. Why?

Well, today was suppose to be the day where I figure out how to cut out my felt fabric in order to cover the surface of my puppet. But it became increasingly clear that I didn't know what the hell I was doing. Thankfully, no cuts were made in the actual fabric.

I can't say the same thing about the foam board. I decided to try and mount the poster I order from Kinko's, but ultimately learned that the scale of the job is too big for my small reach and limited space in the studio now. After screwing that job up, I called a local art store for price quotes. Seems they will do the job for me if I buy their $30 standard plexi-glass frame for only $5 more. Might as well drop the cash for the job rather than botch it up again.

Hopefully I'll be in the swing of things by next week.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Everyone has one of those days when nothing goes right or maybe nothing goes the way we want even though it is not exactly wrong.

I never learned how to do any cutting or sewing but I remember hearing about such things as pinking shears and rotary cutters and bias and nap and right side and wrong side and aligning the pattern with the design in the fabric. It's not simple at all and, if you have never done it much, it is not surprising that you have things to learn.

It is wise to accept that many times it is better to pay a little more and let someone who has lots of experience do the job.

Robert