Monday, May 05, 2008

Oh, Virginia

I keep forgetting that these vacations out to Virginia around this time of year is actually a confirmation of the fact that my mother comes from a culture and generation that, despite the ironic family dynamic we have as far as roles and responsibilities goes, still has some deep rooted gender role predispositions.

What do I mean by that?

I’m a member of the male sex. For some reason, that means that I have an inherent ability to lift heavy objects. Now, anyone that has seen me in person knows that I do have some mass to my body, but that doesn’t mean I have muscle to do any heavy lifting. I may have a job that is aimed at high school kids who just got a car for their birthday from their parents, but that doesn’t mean I’m built for manual labor the likes of a construction crew.

New York is going to be difficult. Not so much getting around the city or looking for things to do. It’s the fact that I’ll be dealing with my mother, whom as she pointed out I seem to always get into a fight with simply by opening my mouth.

"They" still are on my mind. With the NYC trip this coming Wednesday, I can’t stop thinking about the Vegas odds of my wish actually coming true. It would be like winning a global lotto where the odds are about equal to the odds of a satellite reentering the planet only to crash land and expose a renewable fuel source with the energy output of the sun and the handling capabilities of a AA battery.

2 comments:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Lifting heavy objects can lead to serious problems downstream.

If opening your mouth causes problems, then you may have gotten in the habit of saying things that don't even register in your brain any more because they are so routine. But these things may grate against other people.

My advice for the trip to New York is: just go with the flow and do whatever comes along. Don't worry about every possible things that could happen. There is always more to do or to avoid doing on the next trip.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Who are "they?" I'm so confused. Where can I get one of these batteries?