Thursday, May 01, 2008

Summer Vacation?! WTF?!

The next two weekends will be my much needed vacation away from... whatever it was that made me need a vacation so much. I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look up what that reason is.

This weekend, the family sans Skippy is going to Virginia for my sister's graduation. We are staying at a bed-and-breakfast that has a large property for Lucky to run around. Skippy, unfortunately, cannot come due to his inability to stop barking at anything that moves. Lucky isn't as bad, but I'm still worried that he'll end up barking a storm at one point. Skippy will be spending tomorrow until Sunday in the animal boarding house down the street from where we live. Lucky gets to attend the graduation, which happens out on the lawn outside my sister's dorm. And I get to silently people watch all the hot college guys I'll never have the balls to approach.

Next weekend, Mom and I go to NYC to see the Murakami retrospective. We don't spend much time together, so it should be interesting how this trip will effect us. Mom is in charge of transportation and lodging; I'm in charge of food and incidentals. Given my experience in Spain, I'll also be in charge of figuring out the subway so we can get to MOMA, Central Park, and other places we are thinking about going after we look at the retrospective. We'll be staying at (yet another) bed-and-breakfast that is just a block away from the museum.

New York has me thinking about "them" again. But given my last entry before this, I shouldn't be wishing what I am wishing right now. It's not worth the effort, especially since I know it won't happen.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

It is always nice to have a few days away from one's routine.

Yesterday was such a day for me. Two friends from New England are visiting this area and I went with them to May Day at Short Mountain which is about as out of my routine as I can imagine getting. It is an event where people watching is unavoidable and many participants dress (or undress) to be seen. It is also a chance for some exercise as the parking area is a goodly distance from the May Pole raising spot and the path is up and down hill -- all that twice a week treadmilling at a 14 percent incline came in handy.

Have a good time at your events. You never know what might happen. A few people will be reading your feelings and if you feel good about yourself, they will notice.

Robert