Wednesday, March 30, 2005

The Last Day of my Twenty-First Year

And how do I spend it? Doing enough manual labor and physical activities to make me super-duper, can't-get-out-of-bed sore tomorrow!

The first thing I did was walk to Subway for lunch. Seeing as how my Black & White photo class was cancelled for the day and I couldn't get home due to ride complications, I decided to do something different. That and the twenty bucks I had in my wallet was screaming "SPEND ME NOW!"

The Subway in the area of Waktins is a good walk away. If I had to guess, I'd say it is about the same distance as the closest GameStop to my home. However, the walk is all uphill. The grade isn't all that high compared to how bad it could be, but it does help build up an appetite. I found myself finishing my foot long Cheese Steak in under 15 minutes after paying.

The way back was easier. After all, it was pretty much all downhill towards the school, and I had a tail wind (not like that would actually help me or anything). Thankfully, the large drink I had prevented any kind of dehydration I would have had in the noon heat.

I kind of wish I kept the drink though.

When I got back to school, I needed something to do while I waited for my ride to come. I told Terry that it was time for my box from earlier in the semester to become trash. He agreed and helped bring the box out to the dumpster. I then proceeded to take a long-handle sledgehammer to it. I can honestly say that I know now how it feels to be a chain gang member breaking rocks in the hot summer sun. I kind of enjoyed it, actually. I found myself humming a slave song while I was bashing plaster rocks into something that would fit in the dumpster. A little bit disturbing, but given the context of the situation nothing to read too much into.

But, GOD, is it hot outside! It is nice weather, no argument there. But there was no cloud cover at all! I found myself getting tired and thirsty within the first hour of the job. Thankfully, I was able to make it through without passing out or causing my calf muscles to cramp up like they always do whenever I play too much DDR. That is, when I have time to play DDR.

As a side note, I would like to say that my box took me about six weeks to complete and about two and a half hours to destroy.

I know I'm going to be feeling this in the morning. Right now, I'm just glad to be sitting down in an air-conditioned room. However, I know that once I go to bed after doing what homework I need to do tonight, I probably will have a hard time getting up in the morning. Thank God my first class isn't until 11:15, so that gives me a little bit of time.

Destroying stuff is fun, especially when it is your own creation and you don't care too much about it.

No comments: