Saturday, May 23, 2009

EA SPORTS Active's 30 Day Challenge - Day 4

Before I go into my Active experience, I would just like to point out that it’s been over a month since I started this whole “exercise gaming” regiment with Wii Fit. Upon looking at my BMI and Weight line graph on the Wii Fit Channel, I was slapped in the face by reality. Since I started, I only lost and kept off one whole pound. It’s kind of depressing to me. So I talked to the two athletes I know from work, and only one was able to help me out. It became clear that I had to up my intensity. Burn more calories, breathe harder, and if I don’t feel different as a result of the workout, I’m not doing it properly. And if I had the time, work out until you can’t move.

Hence why I held off doing the Day 4 exercise until later in the day today. Not only did I change the intensity from low to medium, but I also added some other workouts to extend what I was doing. Outside of walking the dog, that is.

But the whole “work out until you can’t move” angle was a stupid thing to go by for today. The routine featured Jump Lunges and Jump Squats, both of which took a toll on my knees. Apparently, both my sister and I inherited my dad’s bad knee. Did my body feel different after that routine? Yes, and it hurt more than when I first started and I felt like my thighs were going to explode. Could I move afterwards? Just barely, but only enough to get me to the nearest chair so I can take all the pressure off of my knees. Looking ahead, I’m not out of the woods yet. These Jump Lunges and Jump Squats will become a regular part of the routine now that I upped the intensity.

All is not bad news, however. Much to my surprise, I got an instant Gold Medal rating today before doing the workout for the challenge. How? Because I improved on both my eating habits and outside activities. Whatever I did yesterday was enough to warrant a rating of 86% by themselves! With another break day coming up tomorrow, you can bet that I’ll be trying to repeat that accomplishment again when I record today’s activities in the Journal tomorrow.

No comments: