Saturday, October 18, 2008

Sex Dolls and Disney Heroes

My God, I've got some interesting e-mails in my inbox today (which I've devoted entirely to being lazy).

First up is art related. Because of the new direction my last piece has taken, the quiet, family-man of the faculty sent me something that actually relates to it. At least visually. Apparently, a performance artist actually ordered a RealDoll of herself and constructed a piece where she would have sex it with. She even went as far as to marry it in a Las Vegas chapel! My morning skim of the article took note of a lot of use of the word "feminism" with a paragraph acting like an advertisement for the RealDoll company. While this is no doubt exploring sex, sexuality, and gender roles, I can't help but wonder how exactly this relates to my last piece other than similarity in content. Admittedly, I'm unwilling to read the article in its entirety out of a want to be lazy today.

On a similar note, Jason e-mailed me an article he found involving a deviantART artist who has a series devoted to sexual representation of Disney male characters. It's quite an impressive series that you can view here and here if you have a DA account. Of the ones that I was able to view, I kind of like the direction he went with Kocoum. He kept that proud Native American look while still added a hint of sexual tension which just made the image that much more exotic and not so much erotic unless you look below the waist. Another Disney "hottie" that I like in this series is Aladdin. He's practically topless already in the film, but the image places him in a rather candid expression as if he or the actor playing him (if we go from the Roger Rabbit kind of angle with animated features, that is) was being asked a question and caught between reactions. It makes Al look even more hot than he did in the film. Other Disney characters include Milo and Jim from the Disney Animation "bomb" films Atlantis and Treasure Planet. Jim looks especially hot given the fact that he's practically jail bait in the film but "matured" for the image produced.

But, much like someone I know who does have a DA account, these kind of artists just make me feel bad about myself. If you can wade through all the anime that has blown up on the site, you can find some amazing photographs and illustrations, most of which are from either untrained artists or people like me who are being properly schooled. It's mostly a graphic designers and photographers protfolio community if you REALLY dig, but someone was able to show me some really sweet Flash animation there that looked like it was hand rendered.

Okay, enough of that. I'm going to play Spore since I haven't touched it in so long and I'm over saturated with art as it is. Of course, it doesn't help that I'm playing a game that awards my creativity instead of my gaming skills, but still.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jon,

Don't forget to credit these artists by including their names!

The first artist you mentioned is Amber Hawk Swanson with her exhibition "To Have, To Hold and To Violate: Amber and Doll." I had the incredible fortune of seeing this body of work at the Locust Projects gallery in Miami this past Spring. It involved more than just having sex with the doll and marrying it. She took it to public places like skating rinks and football games, gathering video documentation of people as they interacted with the doll. In one video, a group of twenty-something men outside a football game approach the wheelchaired doll and rampage it with vulgarities. It is particularly creepy to see this, knowing that person that the doll represents is standing only a few feet away in the video. The Amber Doll is featured in the exhibition lying in a casket so you can see firsthand the damage she accrued. It was definitely a fascinating body of work. More about Amber can be found on her website here: http://amberhawkswanson.com

The second artist you feature is David Kawena, 25 year old artist from Isreal. I'm going to have to disagree with you about these images not being sexualized from the waist up. David has taken the male heroes from Disney movies - most of which are merely undeveloped masculine foils that define the female's subjectivity - and put their bodies on display, redefining what makes them desirable. They're no longer merely the long-awaited solution to all of the damsel's problems, but they become their own precious objects of beauty. It's a clever idea executed with a beautiful level of skill. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a website for Mr. Kawena, but in addition to his DeviantArt profile, a Google search brings up several blog sites that showcase his underwear-clad Disney heroes.

Later,

Jason

Robert Stone said...

Who knows which came first --
people and characters are
mixed now forever
.