Thursday, January 17, 2008

Obsession vs. Obsession

When you have all the time in the world, one tends to look within when there is nothing to do to mentally stimulate yourself, let alone entertain.

It’s only been a hour on this, my third official day in the studio working towards my Senior Thesis, and already I feel like I’m forcing myself to complete a project I no longer care about. Okay, so maybe that’s a little harsh, but my interest and, by proxy, my obsession currently is with the digital fireworks.

Ever since that crash this past weekend, my mind has been on nothing but it. How to fix it the next time around, how to construct a show that allows me to test all of the shells I made that could have corrupted the game, getting a video out on my YouTube account for Valentines Day using that media and the latest ‘tween pop song from Disney’s cash cow High School Musical, calculating and trying to come up with a creative solution to remaking the show I was working before all this.

Drawing as many cartoon images as I can over the course of an 8 hour work day for three days a week is starting to feel forced. I like drawing them, but after I’m done drawing, it feels like I’ve only completed something that will be seen as an individual element and not as part of the whole, which was the problem the last time I worked on this piece.

Then again, my drawings are more artistic than a bunch of digital fireworks set up to look like a show worthy of a theme park installation.

1 comment:

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

Many creative people have this problem of feeling that all the work that comes after the project is fully conceived is just something that one has to make oneself do when what one wants to do is get on to the next idea.

You need an assistant to fill in the details. Work hard and be lucky and maybe you can afford one.

If you believe that your parts make up a whole, some of your viewers will believe the same thing. But there is nothing you or I or anyone can do about those who can't or won't look beyond the components.

Robert