Thursday, January 31, 2008

Barrier of Obsession

There is just no pleasing some people. This includes teachers.

As of right now, my idea for my main piece in my senior thesis is partially installed in my studio space, as you saw from my last post. I had a progress critique today, as I won't be around tomorrow for it due to a family "emergency." (I say that loosely, which is why it is in quotes.)

My teacher wants me to frame the picture a la Barry McGee. Thing is, McGee's drawings are all different dimensions, and I'm keeping mine to an 8 x 11 format. My defense for this is that I'm borrowing from the obsessive compulsive side of my thesis, albeit it doesn't directly relate to obsessive fandom. He asked then why not do the OCD thing and put it in a grid? That's where the conspiracy theorist side of the obsession aesthetic comes into play, which involves clusters and string going all over the place until it creates a net. And back and forth with this.

It's been kind of like that between me and Jack since seminar. It's as if he doesn't understand the logic behind what I'm doing, even though the rest of the class does.

The big and annoying thing that broiled my chicken was how he wanted me to actually install the string, push pin, and post-it notes in my studio creating said web. The web acts like a symbolic barrier that is often found in fandom culture in sociological terms. But in that studio space? It would act like a hindrance. Oh, sure, I could move my desk around and maybe just do small installations here and there, as was suggested by Jack, but what if the lay out in the studio ends up being something different in the gallery space? What then? Oh no! I don't have enough string left over! I cut a string too short, and I need it longer! And worst of the worse case scenarios is that I forget why I drew a string between these two drawings or lose a post-it note between the studio and the gallery some forty feet away. Yeah, I know I'm being ridiculous, but you have to understand the logistics. It isn't that I don't want to do that now, it's the fact that the school doesn't allow enough space for me to do it in a way that would please my instructor.

The compromise that I came up with was to make a foam-core model of it. Ten by ten inches, with sewing thread being the scale representation of the yarn that would criss-cross all over the space.

Apparently that wasn't even enough for him. With a mandatory Distinction Candidacy presentation for mid-term, he wanted to know how that would help me with the documentation requirements. After all, I'm suppose to show my work at that presentation, what work survived and is documented.

Ah, see, now I have the upper hand! I took public art, and this is how they present their ideas to the committee members that want their art in a public space. They cannot create a large scale installation or sculpture to show what they are thinking the space will look like, so they make models and document those. Some even go as far as to photograph the space and photoshop in the model to give a better example. Why can't I use the scale model as part of my documentation even if the installation isn't installed yet? Public art artists do that all the time!

I won that battle, but I still left the lone critique feeling pretty much the way I did during most of seminar: confident in my idea but not in my execution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not a battle - these guys aren't your enemies. You don't need an "upper hand."

I don't understand why you can't use your smallish studio area as the mock-up instead of making a miniature version out of foam core? Can't the studio area be the mock-up? Set it up the way it needs to work, and then when it comes time to put it in the gallery, buy new string and install a bigger version. "Oh no I don't have enough string..." and "I need longer string" are weak excuses, cause I can send you string from San Francisco. They sell it here all over the place and it's one of the few things I can actually afford. Don't let string hold you back.

Now you have to explain the difference between "barrier" and "hindrance," because they're very similar things.

Finally a 10"x10" mock up is going to be tiny. What sort of detail will that convey to your panel? The mock-ups for public art are not usually THAT small. How will that help you practice for your gallery installation, and how much time is that going to detract from the art you need to make for your show?

Robert Stone said...

Jon,

I have to agree with Jason that your using string and cord as an excuse is pretty lame. He doesn't have to send you such from San Francisco. I'm sure that I could take you to wherever such is sold and pay for enough to take care of your senior project.

I'm having a hard time understanding just what you are attempting but I am trying. However when you wrote "conspiracy theorist side of the obsession aesthetic comes into play, which involves clusters and string going all over the place until it creates a net." I was completely lost.

Off hand it seems to me that, except in a few cases, obsessive people create these nets inside their heads and don't need any string and cord.

Sometimes I begin to believe that the thing you are most obsessive about is your belief that everyone is putting you down and insisting on their approach rather than yours. Now I don't think they are doing that -- Jason certainly is not -- but they don't see what you are getting at, therefore, they revert back to their own approach.

Many times one hears, "Methinks, the .... protests too much." Take care not to fall into that category.

Robert